Thursday, May 29, 2008

How to subscribe and read news from your homepage by using rss?

Sometimes ago, I was aware of RSS or Atom, I know it is kind of a news feed and a lot of people is using it to read news. However, I wasn't sure how to use it to my convenience. Normally I will browse to the news website or blog to read the news.

But there is another easier way, where you can have all the news from different source combine into 1 page.

Here is the step-by-step guide:


  1. Log in to www.igoogle.com

  2. Sign up or sign in by following screen shot below.



  3. Key in your google account username and passoword.



  4. Then, it will lead to iGoogle page. Here is the screen shot of my iGoogle homepage.



  5. Click to add a new tab by following steps below. Check the box "I'm feeling lucky. Automatically add stuff based on the tab name." if you want Google to search for you all the news related to your tab name.


  6. Go to your favourite blog or news station. In this case, I use Tun Mahathir Blog as an example. Log in to www.chedet.com.


  7. Scroll down to the page and look for the atom/rss to subsribe.



  8. It will lead you to this page, select Google from the drop down list and click subsribe now.



  9. Select "Add to Google homepage" in this case.



  10. Here is the result that we get. Click on the '+' sign to expand the news.



  11. If you want to subscribe to my blog, click on the "subscribe in reader" as below


Good luck and have fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are using Opera or Mozilla Firefox, just click the rss orange box image and it will ask you whether you want to subscribe or not. It's easier I guess.

tzewei said...

Do you means using the build in rss reader?

Anonymous said...

Yup. Just hit the orange button and you are subscribed already. Very easy...